Thursday, January 8, 2009

From Sunroom to Homework Room


James tears out the walls and ceiling of our old Sunroom, commonly known around here as a 3-season porch. It had no heating, nor air conditioning, so it was really only usable a few weeks of each year. It was unbearably hot in the summer and colder than our refrigerator in the winter. Note the old windows, behind James, and the door to the outside, which we removed. This room ended up being more or less a storage area, or at times a dumping ground.

New windows, one door moved and the other removed, heating, and insulation have come a long way to making this room a pleasant place. The 3 desks and metal file cabinet are from Ikea.

All it needs now is a springy green paint job! With desks on 3 sides, there is enough room for 4 people to work on computers concurrently, and plenty more desk area for art projects or homework.
Note the Wizard of Ozesque font color change to emphasize my mood of "color" in the room.

James tore these cabinets out of the back of the kitchen and repurposed them for this room. He also bought the countertop at Home Depot and built this desk space. I thought about moving all of his tools off the desk before I took the picture, but it seemed like too much work!
Not pictured is the new Ikea bookshelf behind the door that attaches the kitchen to the Homework room. There is a shelf for each child in the family to keep their school books on.
I have been so happy--make that ecstatic to have one room finished and inhabitable! We're making some progress, baby!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Dan and Louise said...

It looks fantastic!! You are all such "do it yourself-ers." Awesome!

Valerie said...

I love the color and what a great idea, a home work room, I'm going to coping you...

Amanda said...

The house looks awesome! I'm sure you can't wait for it to be done! Maybe we'll have to make a trip to Boston to see it when all is said and done! :)

Kimberly said...

I LOVE IT!!! I am so envious! I would have totally been an A student if I had a room like that to study in! ;-) i love the green. Wish I had a space to paint green! I LOVE IT!!!

Petrea said...

It's so fun to see what you have done with that room. That is a great use of the space for your studious and artistic family! I can't wait to see it all finished!

Diana said...

Hi, It's your cousin Diana from Seattle! Visiting your blog from the family website--and I cannot resist leaving you a comment! I love seeing these before and after pictures, and the pictures of your bathrooms look fantastic as well. You seem to have put a lot of thinking and work into your house, and it looks great! I love the green wall, by the way.