Saturday, May 14, 2011

Art In Bloom at the MFA

On Saturday April 30th, I took the 3 youngest to visit the Art in Bloom at the MFA.  Really, I just wanted to take J.B. because he loves art and he and I enjoy going.  Soren and Lachlan really cramp my style when it comes to art museums--"This is boring; when can we leave?"  lots of whining and carrying on.

But I bribed them with a doughnut reward if they should behave.  Plus J.B. made them these awesome worksheets so that they had things to look for along the way in the museum.





















We stopped at the beginning of the flowers to see a few pieces in the glassblower--Chihuly Exhibit, which we'll go back and see in its entirety later.

Saw Chihuly in AZ and LOVED it.  This is made of glass.

Here is what w really came for.  Floral arrangements, representing specific artworks.  This one represents the Virgin Mary and child sculpture to the left, in the back.  Click on the picture to see it bigger.

This floral arrangment represents the silver canelabras behind it and slightly to the left.



Boston Harbor Wall
N.C. Wyeth watercolor
Springtime in France

Next, we tried a little sketching of our own!

Soren's sketch of the lego vase.

The colored pencils were so lovely; they were just begging for moms to use them too!

Nice work, J.B.

Lachlan was pretty much done for at this point!  Happiness had left the building.

And we finished off our day with some sidewalk chalk with Sidewalk Sam!

Soren
J.B.
Lachlan
Our finished products, plus one by some real artists!
J.B. whispers, "See you next year!"
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Petrea said...

thank you so much for sharing those! I would love to go to an "Art in Bloom" someday! what a great opportunity for all you artists!

scooping it up said...

I swear we are not missing this next year. I will be out of baby land and they will be containable and obedient and it will be wonderful. What fun!