Duhn,
Duhn,
Duhn,
Duuuuuuuuhhn .
Lachlan proudly displays his Bag of Apples.
We all squint in the sunshine while waiting for the train.
Same Idea Here\/. Train, still waiting!!
Look at all those apples! Apple Pies, here we come!
WARNING! MAY ALSO INCLUDE OTHER YUMMY DESSERTS: APPLE LEATHER, APPLE CRISP, APPLES W/ PEANUT BUTTER, AND APPLE PANCAKES. YUMM!!!
End Of Report

2 comments:
so out of curiosity - how much does something like that cost? Does it cost less to buy apples from a grocery store but take away from the experience of picking? Maybe I should start my own apple picking orchard...
Picking apples in New England is EXPENSIVE! It's not like in Idaho, where you pick apples at a cheap price so that you can "can" them. Here, you pay a premium for the experience of going to an orchard to pick. They cost a ton more than if you got them at the grocery store. I tell people from the West that move out here that the Pick Your Own Farms are more for city people who want to show their kids where food really comes from.
So, get ready to die when you read the actual numbers of our apple picking trip.
First of all, it was $8.00 a person just to get into the orchard. That also gave us a ticket on the train, and access to the petting zoo and playground. The $8.00 was cheap too; their normal weekend price is $10.00 or $12.00 for adults.
James stayed home, so for the 7 of us that went we paid $56.00 entrance fee.
Then the apples, pears, and peaches we picked were all $2.50 a pound. That IS more expensive than the grocery store, when apples are in sale and in season. But it's about the same price for organic apples, which these are.
I told the kids not to pick too many, because each person had their own bag and went to their own part of the orchard where I wasn't supervising them. I knew that 7 people picking could quickly pick more than our family could eat. Jansen and Logan both picked more than 30 pounds each. Long story short...I was MORTIFIED when our peaches, pears and apples weight grand totaled $215.00. I told the children, "You will not tell your father that we spent this much money on apple picking!" "And you will eat 2 apples every day, until they are all gone!" What was I supposed to do at that point? I couldn't very well take the apples back and say, "We don't want all of these apples that we already picked!" Expensive mistake!
Post a Comment