Sunday, November 28, 2010

Soren Gets Baptized

On November 27th, Soren was baptized.

Jansen was able to come home from college for the Thanksgiving weekend to perform the baptismal ordinance.  It was so touching for me to see my big boy baptizing my little boy.  Love those two!


Soren's cousins came from New York to celebrate this special day with him.
L to R James, David, John, Heather, and Lily.

I was so happy to have my sister Heather here to help and celebrate!

We were so happy that Tutu and Grandad could come from Utah for the baptism.  We hadn't seen them for 2 years, and this was the first time that they were able to see our remodeled house.

James confirmed Soren.
Mom read a scripture about Soren's Hawaiian name, which is He keiki kuo'o 'oe ma ua hikiwawe ma ke ike.  His name is taken from the scripture in Mormon Chapter 1, verse 2 where Ammoron is talking to Mormon at the age of 10.  "I perceive that thou art a sober child, and art quick to observe;"  We used that entire phrase for his Hawaiian name.  The feeling we had about him before he was born was that he is a sober child.
Our Bishop continued this thought in his remarks, wondering, I wonder what hill, literal or figurative, the Lord will have you go to, Soren when you are 24?
Janessa gave the talk on baptism and the Holy Ghost.  She did a great job.
Lachlan not only looked dapper for the baptism, but became the comedian.  When Janessa was speaking she asked Soren, "Lachlan looks up to you and wants to be just like you.  What if he wanted to get baptized next week, could he?"  Lachlan answered this by shouting out, "I HATE getting baptized."
Seated in the back, and to the right is Ryan Nielsen.  He performed a trumpet duet with Logan of "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized."  It was very nice, and unique!
My visiting teachers, Tanya Rogers and Susan Barnhurst set out all of the food.  By Soren's request, his baptism spread included carrots, Soccer Bars, and Devilishly Delicious Brownies, and milk to wash the goodies down with.
There was a very strong spirit there!  Thanks so much to everyone who helped and made it run smoothly.

5 comments:

Petrea said...

Thanks so much for sharing those photos--you are all so beautiful. I wish we could see you all in person! I know it was a special occasion. All our love to Soren!

Eunice said...

I enjoyed 'attending' Soren's virtual baptism - are you sure he's eight already!?! It just doesn't seem possible! Anyway, how fun to have all those McQuivey names on the program and how fun to see lots of familiar faces there. Congratulations to y'all!

Hilary said...

Congratulations to Soren! What a special day!

Shay said...

Wow...that is so great. How amazing to have Jansen there to baptize Soren...so special! I laughed about loud about Lachlan's comment...hilariuos!

Amy said...

Such a sweet day -- such a beautiful family! Congratulations!